Monday, October 10, 2011

My Needles Have a Glamorous Home


My embroidery needles have fabulous homes.
They are cozy and warm in their castles waiting for the duty call.

These two belonged to my husband's grandmother. She bought them on one of her travels and they are actually containers of small bottled perfumes. Thin and tiny perfume tubes are inserted inside and sold as souvenirs. Aren't they gorgeous? They still smell wonderfully.


I acquired them recently and still haven't tried to refresh them a bit with a little paint and polish, but I will soon. They look a bit rugged and beaten but that is understandable since they are more than 50 years old.
I love having them especially the tubular one because it is wonderful to carry around while on the road.


We had black and heavy clouds clinging from the sky today and I couldn't make a proper photo to better capture their beauty. I guess some other time.
Have a Happy Monday wherever you are!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous Maya! Do they happen to come from Bulgaria? Because I remember seeing something similar there years ago? I once received a very small bottle of rose perfume from one of our Bulgarian suppliers, same shape as your image on the right. Fabulous! Have a great evening, Ira x

Maya Kuzman said...

I believe they might be from Bulgaria Ira!
There is no sign or mark on them though.

CrochetBlogger said...

Wow, what a beautiful way to store your crafty stuff!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Maya

What lovely pieces and get way to store your needles as well.

Thank you for stopping by last week, I appreciate it.

Have a great week.

Vanessa

Unknown said...

A delightful home for your needles! How lucky they are (and you too)! :)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Maya. They are just beautiful. Antique treasures.

dora ramalho said...

Litle Treasures... I love them.

ByNightCreations said...

They're indeeed beautiful! It's funny because my grandmother gave me some of these too when I was a kid. She'd brought them back from Bulgaria and contained Rose extracts. hmmmmm ;-)

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I have never seen a needle holder like that. What a wonderful treasure, they are in very good condition, having something like this is just precious. So beautiful to look at and very useful (I am channelling William Morris right now...)

Papgena Made It said...

Is it all right to be envious?? Because I am! Those are absolutley gorgeous!!!

Canadian Hostess said...

These definitely come from Bulgaria. My Mom always bring these souvenirs when she visits us in Canada.The bottles are filled with authentic rose oil, which is used in French perfumes. I've never thought of using them as containers for needles. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

RheLynn said...

Extremely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Whit said...

so pretty. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com