Monday, January 7, 2013

Christmas bread seal


Today is Christmas for the Orthodox Christians! 
My best wishes to all celebrating it!! May this year be a blessed one for all!
As the tradition has it, on this day a bread with a coin inserted inside is made. It is believed that the member of the family who gets is going to have an exceptional - a blessed -  year.



Two days ago I bought myself this Christmas bread seal. When I saw it, I knew I had to have it. My grandmother had a seal similar to this. It was an exciting sight watching her take out her Christmas bread bearing the magical seal which had a spell like quality over us - the children. We felt mesmerized  - as if God himself has imprinted a special message just for us.  I distinctly remember hers having a more intricate wording (in Old Church Slavonic). I am no cryptographer but I guess the letters on mine should say something in the sense that "Christ was born". My grandmother's seal is still in the family. My aunt inherited it so I am itching to compare the two.

Христос се роди!

6 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Oh such a beautiful bread seal! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful tradition with your readers.
Merry Christmas to you and best wishes and happiness for 2013!

Jelena MS said...

Hristos se rodi!Srecan Bozic!

ByNightCreations said...

I had no idea about that tradition! thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I am very fond of rituals and traditions and this certainly is a fine one Maya, such a special seal this is, to be cherished for sure!
irascreacorner.blogspot.nl

Vanessa said...

Hi, Maya

I love this post. It's always so sweet to remember those special family times when you where a child. I love to pass those tradition on to my children as well. We celebrate the Three Kings Day on 1/6. This is when my mom celebrated Christmas. It's a sweet memory.

Hugs,
Vanessa

Tammy said...

That is lovely! I've never seen anything like it before. Very interesting! Best wishes, Tammy