Monday, July 6, 2015

Crochet Mandala Free Pattern -{Honoring Wink's work}

 
 
When I learned about the premature departure of Wink from A Creative Being I was in shock. I think everyone who met her through her work - especially through her amazing mandalas was.
 
Taken by the initiative Kathryn of Crochet Concupiscence undertook with the #MandalasForMarinke project to raise awareness of depression, I decided to share the pattern for this lovely mandala chart I found online. I named it Joy of Life, because life is the greatest gift we receive and we should treasure it.
 
 
 
Translation of the Mandala Chart (with slight variations):
 
Ch 9 and join to make ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as the 1st dc) and make 23 dcs in ring. Sl st (with 1st dc) to end.
Rnd 2: Ch3, sk 1 and dc 1, ch3, "dc2tog (by  making the 1st dc in the same st as the one before it) sk 1 and make the second dc in the next st, then ch3". Repeat from "to". End with a sl st to the initial chain.
Rnd 3: Starting from the 3 chain, ch 4 then sc in the next ch. Repeat this to the end. End with a sl st.
Rnd 4: Ch 3, dc 1 on the chain, ch 3 and sc over the sc st from the previous row. Repeat this pattern to the end. End with a sl st.
Rnd 5: Over the first dc of the row below, ch 3 (counts as 1 dc) and make a dc (in the same st.) This is a 2dc puff. Next, ch 6 and make a 2dc puff over the dc st of the row below. Repeat pattern to end. End with a sl st.  
Rnd 6: Ch 3 and dc in every single stitch of the previous row. (a total of 84 dc including the 1st 3-chain).
Rnd 7: Ch 5, skip 4 (counting the first chain), sc in fifth ch. Repeat pattern to end.
Rnd 8: Repeat rnd 4.
Rnd 9: Repeat rnd 5.
Rnd 10: Repeat rnd 6 (a total of 140 dc including the 1st 3-chain).
Rnd 11: Repeat rnd 7.
Rnd 12:Repeat rnd 4 with the exception that over the dc st, you make a 3ch picot.
 
I am sending this mandala to Kathryn, and if you want to join the initiative too, click on the link above.
 
Celebrate life!



20 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Maya, so sorry to hear the passing of your blog friend. I did not know her but so thoughtful to share this crochet mandala in honor of her. Thanks for sharing at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J party. Take care.
Julie

handmade by amalia said...

This is a nice tribute to your friend. Sorry for your loss.
Amalia
xo

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie! It is so sad and devastating for the family for losing a young one. I cannot fathom the pain of loss... On the other hand I think Kathryn's initiative will have a great impact and help the most concerned.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Amalia!

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! I need to spend some time to learn how to crochet!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Jessica !

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It's a lovely little pattern. Thanks for the translation as I am pretty pathetic at deciphering the diagrams. Best wishes, Tammy

Maya Kuzman said...

I on the other hand, do not work with written patterns. The minute I see them, I lose interest. I mean I have to write them for my patterns, but do not use them personally. Charts work best for me and I am happy I can share :)

Alexandra EyeLoveKnots said...

This is such a beautiful mandala! Beautiful tribute to a wonderful designer and blogger. Pinned. Hoping to see you at our Yarn Fanatic Party - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/07/yarn-fanatic-party-44.html.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday, and yes, life is a treasure and it is truly devastating to hear about anyone whose ability to appreciate this was robbed from them by mental illness. As we say in hebrew, we should only hear good news within our blogging community.

Olga Poltava said...

Beautiful mandala! So bright and cheerful.
Thank you for sharing the pattern!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Olga!

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alexandra! I already joined the party :)

Maya Kuzman said...

A sad story with a sadder end...

Agy said...

That's so sad to hear, but you have made a lovely tribute to Wink.

D Martinez said...

That is so pretty. I dig the colors you put together.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Deedra!

Anonymous said...

Hello and thank you for this lovely pattern.
I made it yesterday and just published it on my blog (with a link to yours, of course): http://countrycosy.blogspot.com/2015/09/white.html
Wishing you lovely day.
Sunny hugs from Belgium.

Artesanato com Croche said...

Alo Maia I will make one today and wilL remember your friend. I am so sorry. I a sending A tIGHT HUG FROM BRAZIL AND HUGGING YOUR FRIEND AS WELL IN MY THOUGHTS AND FEELLINGS eliana

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you so much Eliana! That's so kind of you!