Friday, April 15, 2016

DIY Shabby Chic Holder

 
 
 
 
I have had this project sketched in my notebook for such a long time I almost forgot about it. It is an easy, lazy afternoon project which can be done in a wink, and not to mention how adorably cute it is.
 
So what do you need to make this?
 
1. A piece of fabric (measurements depend on size of your hot pad)
2. An Ikea cork hot pad (they come in sets of three - how lovely!)
3. Wide lace piece
4. Ruffled elastic
5. Felt (as backing)
6. Filling
- stapler, needle and thread (optional: a glue gun)
 
 
 
 
 Step 1:
 
Take a plate bigger than your pad, turn it upside down and outline it. 
 
 
 
 Step 2:
 
 Place the lace pocket at the middle of the pad and pin it there as well as at the bottom. Sew the lace along the bottom part. Place the filling on top of the pad.
 


Step 3:
 
 Use a stapler to fix the fabric over the pad. I don't have any so I just used a running stitch to secure it over the pad.
 Cut a round felt piece as the back and glue it.
I don't use the glue gun often in textile projects, because it is neater to sew than glue, so to fix the felt piece I used the blanket stitch.
 
 
 
Step 4:
 
 Remember to add a string or something else at the top for holding.  Add (sew) the ruffled elastic around the pad (at the sides), along the upper line of the pocket -  and you are done!
 
 
 
 
 
This is a gift for Eva. She doesn't have a clue it's for her although she saw me working on it. I hope she likes it when she finds it on her dresser :)
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

Divya N said...

Teh holder looks cute and I am sure Eva will enjoy using it

Alhana said...

I'm sure she will love your gift. Very cute!

Stephanie said...

Dear friend, this is darling! I love the lace and extra sweetness that you added to it :) Years ago I made one similar that I keep special card in.

Wishing you a beautiful weekend! Hugs!

myrica said...

So nice, very pretty.
have a nice weekend

Maya Kuzman said...

She screamed in delight so she likes it all right :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana!

Maya Kuzman said...

Dear Stephanie, thank you for this lovely comment. What a great idea!I might make another one for my cards :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you dear!

Pat said...

What a lovely idea, thank you xP

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Maya, I love how pretty this is and the tutorial. This is perfect for holding objects. I hope you have a wonderful week:)
Julie

Unknown said...

This is a sweet little idea that I think would make a lovely gift for mom.

Thank you for joining us this week at Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.

Olivia
Reinvented Collection